Hindu Vivek Kendra
A RESOURCE CENTER FOR THE PROMOTION OF HINDUTVA
   
 
 
«« Back
India gives more evidence, asks Pak to act against Saeed

India gives more evidence, asks Pak to act against Saeed

Author: PTI
Publication: The Pioneer
Date: August 1, 2009
URL: http://www.dailypioneer.com/193028/India-gives-more-evidence-asks-Pak-to-act-against-Saeed.html

Responding to Pakistan's queries, India on Saturday gave it more evidence on Mumbai attacks and pressed it to prosecute Jamaat-ud Dawa chief and prime accused Hafiz Saeed, saying there was "enough" proof to do so.

A dossier, comprising a seven-page summary and 60 pages of annexures, was handed over by T C A Raghavan, Joint Secretary (Pakistan) in the External Affairs Ministry, to Pakistan's Deputy High Commissioner Rifat Masood when she was called to the MEA.

The material contains "detailed information" about the investigation and legal evidence regarding the 26/11 attacks carried out by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) outfit, sources said.

The dossier, fourth one to be handed over to Pakistan, is "comprehensive" and "covers all points" raised by Pakistan and should be enough for it to take the prosecution to its logical end, they said.

Home Minister P Chidambaram said the dossier contained replies to "routine" questions raised by Pakistan. "I may say fill in the blanks kind of questions."

To a question about Saeed, LeT founder whom India has identified as the prime accused behind the attacks, he said "there is enough evidence to continue probe against Saeed."

Pakistan has been saying Saeed cannot be prosecuted as there is not much evidence linking him to the 26/11 attacks.The fresh evidence was in response to the 34-page dossier given on July 11 by Pakistan which had sought the authenticated interrogation reports of two Indian terrorists Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin held in connection with the Mumbai terror attack.

Pakistan had also sought the attested copies of examination reports given by experts on the GPS and Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) used during the Mumbai attacks.

India had already provided details of the conversations and exchanges between the 10 terrorists who struck in Mumbai and their handlers in Pakistan. However, Islamabad had contended there were some inconsistencies in these.

Pakistan had also raised some questions regarding the legal process underway in Mumbai and these have been answered, the sources said.

"On July 11, Pakistan had provided to us a dossier providing an update on investigations in Pakistan into the terrorist attack in Mumbai. A request had been made in it for further evidence. A detailed dossier of evidence has been provided today to the Pakistan High Commission," the External Affairs Ministry said in a statement.

Chidambaram said Pakistan had asked for "information which is already there and asked for answers to questions which can easily be found if someone has read the CrPC. Nevertheless, I have taken the trouble of dictating the response."


Back                          Top

«« Back
 
 
 
  Search Articles
 
  Special Annoucements