Hindu Vivek Kendra
A RESOURCE CENTER FOR THE PROMOTION OF HINDUTVA
   
 
 
«« Back
 

More than 23,000 people are a terror threat to the UK, Home Office says on London Bridge attack anniversary

Author: Keir Mudie
Publication: Mirror.co.uk
Date: June 03, 2018
URL:      https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/more-23000-people-terror-threat-12637759.amp?__twitter_impression=true

More than 23,000 people are a terror threat to the UK, the Home Office revealed today.

About 3,000 of them are “subjects of interest” plotting 500 outrages.

 

A further 20,000 individuals have been investigated and had their cases closed but may still pose a threat.

Police and the security services have foiled 25 Islamist plots since June 2013 – 12 since March last year.

The figures were released a year to the day three terrorists inspired by Islamic State killed eight people and wounded 48 at London Bridge and Borough Market.

The terrorists drove a van into crowds then jumped out to stab people before police shot them dead.

The Home Office expects the UK threat level to remain “severe” – meaning an attack is highly likely – for the next two years.

A senior counter-terror officer urged the public to remain vigilant.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Dean Haydon said: “The police and security services are working extremely hard, foiling and disrupting terrorist attacks all the time.”

Home Secretary Sajid Javid will tomorrow announce new measures to strengthen anti-terror operations.

They include improved data sharing and analysis, as well as MI5 teaming up with local authorities to manage risk.

And there will be a toughening up of the approach to right-wing extremist groups.

The Home Office says Islamist terrorism is the biggest threat, in particular that inspired by IS and al-Qaeda.

But it says neo-Nazis are a growing problem, with four extreme right wing plots disrupted since March 2017.

Today, survivors of the London Bridge atrocity were due to be joined by bereaved families, emergency service staff and politicians for a remembrance service at Southwark Cathedral.

Mr Javid told the service tackling terrorism was his “first priority every day in this job”.

He added: “Ultimately the strongest response is not just what we do, but who we are. The best way to stop terrorists achieving their aims is to stand by our values of tolerance and fairness.”

We will not be divided

Prime Minister Theresa May said:

The attack on London Bridge and Borough Market was a cowardly attempt to strike at the heart of our freedoms by targeting people enjoying their Saturday night with friends and family.

Today, we remember those who died and the many who were injured, and also pay tribute to the bravery of our emergency services and those who intervened or came to the aid of others.

The many stories of courage that night will always stay with me – such as Ignacio Echeverria, who died after confronting the terrorists with the only thing he had, his skateboard.

Among the eight people lost were seven foreign nationals. This is a reflection of our great cosmopolitan capital, whose energy and values bring together people from across the world.

My message to those who seek to divide us is clear – our resolve to stand firm and overcome this threat together has never been stronger.

Thanks for the heroes

Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, said:

Today our thoughts are with the families and loved ones of the eight people who died in the London Bridge terror attack last year.

Just as after the attacks in Manchester and Finsbury Park, our communities stood together and refused to be divided, even in the face of great tragedy.

I was honoured to present a Pride of Britain award to PC Wayne Marques who risked his life in the attack to protect others.

And I pay tribute to our brave emergency service personnel who are the first to respond to these horrific acts and put themselves on the line to keep us safe, day in day out.
 
«« Back
 
 
 
  Search Articles
 
  Special Annoucements