Hindu Vivek Kendra
«« Back
K'taka: Arrested militant was planning to strike nuclear plant, naval base

K'taka: Arrested militant was planning to strike nuclear plant, naval base

Author: Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore
Publication: Rediff.com
Date: January 31, 2008
URL: http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/jan/31terror.htm

Even as police teams from various states interrogate Mohammed Raziuddin Nasir, the man arrested in Karnataka for his alleged terror links, investigating agencies have stumbled upon startling information about his terror plans and his closeness to other terrorists.

The police have received information that Nasir visited key installations in northern Karnataka several times and was planning terror strikes in this area. He, along with his associates, was planning terror attacks on the nuclear power plant near Karwar and the INS Kadamba Naval base. Several maps with details of these crucial installations have been recovered from Nasir.

The terrorists were reportedly targeting the smaller towns in Karnataka as security is often lax in these places. Attempts to increase the number of sleeper cells in the state and activate them were going on.

During interrogations, Nasir admitted that he is close to Shahid Bilal, India's most wanted terrorist. He said that he met Bilal for the first time in Karachi and was very impressed with his 'dedication'.

Nasir told the police that he decided to become a Fidayeen after his father Mohammad Nasiruddin was arrested in connection with the Haren Pandya murder. He was sent to India to carry out terror strikes, but he had a tough time crossing over to India from Pakistan, because of the stringent security arrangements.

Bilal then suggested that Nasir should try to enter India through the Bangladesh border. "While I was trying to cross the Indo-Bangladesh border, one of my accomplices was arrested. So we changed our plans and I went to Nepal. I traveled in a lorry and entered India through Gorakhpur. From there, I took a train to Warrangal in Hyderabad." Nasir reportedly told the interrogators.

He informed the police that Bilal had visited Karnataka last year and they had kept in touch with each other through emails. Nasir and Bilal used their own coded language to communicate through emails.

Nasir learnt to use the internet during his training in Pakistan and he was instructed to change his password every three days.

Back                          Top

«« Back
  Search Articles
  Special Annoucements